In Busselton's calm turquoise bay you can take a 1.8-kilometre stroll or train ride over the Indian Ocean on the longest timber-piled jetty in the southern hemisphere. And below the waves, Australia's best artificial reef can be viewed by stepping into the Underwater Observatory or getting suited up for a diving tour.
Twice voted Western Australia's Top Tourism Town, and just a short hop from the Margaret River wine region, Busselton gives you plenty of reasons to take the 2-hour-and-40-minute drive or 50-minute flight south from Perth.
Galleries, Museums and Collections (4)
Artgeo Cultural Complex - Old Courthouse Artgeo Cultural Complex Old Courthouse is situated at the northern end of Queen Street in Busselton, a stones throw from the famous Busselton Jetty. It is housed in one of the oldest buildings in Western Australia. Built in 1856 and comprising of gaol cells, stables, sergeants quarters and courtroom it has been an arts centre since 1975.
Ballarat Engine The Ballarat Engine was Western Australias first steam locomotive which now sits proudly on display in Victoria Square, Busselton. Train enthusiasts will enjoy reading about the history of the engine, which played a significant role in the towns thriving timber industry in the late 1800s.
Old Court House Complex Examine the extensive selection of local arts and craft at the Old Court House Complex whilst exploring the oldest building in Busselton. Wander around the 1854 Courthouse and Gaol to see how the early settlers were incarcerated. Take your time checking out the courtroom, gaol cells, stable and sergeants quarters, where you can learn all about the history of the early legal system and the punishments imposed.
The Busselton Museum The Busselton Museum is housed in the towns Old Butter Factory and is the largest museum outside of the Perth metropolitan area. Allow as much time as possible to meander through the buildings of the museum to examine the vast array of historical collections on offer.
Historical Sites and Heritage Locations (2)
Heritage Park and Trail The Heritage Park and Trail in Busselton is a self guided easy walk through the charming coastal town providing information about the towns rich and colourful heritage. Visit significant landmarks such as the Ballarat Steam Engine, the first steam locomotive used in Western Australia, St Marys Church which is the oldest stone church in the state and Pioneer Cemetery, the final resting place of many of the regions early settlers.
St Mary's Anglican Church St Marys Anglican Church in Busselton is the oldest stone church in the state. Built by the early settlers in the 1840s this beautiful historic building was the primary place of worship for the Vasse community. A visit to the charming old church is a must. Take your time to truly capture the beauty of this renovated building.
Landmarks and Buildings (1)
Busselton Jetty The Busselton Jetty experience takes you 1.8 kilometres out to sea, on the longest timber-piled jetty in the southern hemisphere, and the second longest in the world. Stroll or take a train ride over the waters of Geographe Bay to the Underwater Observatory, your window to Australia's best artificial reef.
National Parks and Reserves (1)
Ludlow Tuart Forest The Ludlow Tuart Forest provides a unique opportunity to enjoy a leisurely drive through the last remaining natural tall tuart forest in the world. Marvel at the beauty of these rare ancient giants that are estimated to be over 300 years old.
Natural Attractions (2)
Busselton Beachfront The picturesque Busselton Beachfront is home to the longest timber pier in the Southern Hemisphere, Busselton Jetty. The beachfront has a vast array of attractions to keep you entertained. Visit the Interpretive Centre at the shore end of the jetty for an insight into Busselton Jettys history or make the 1.8 kilometre walk down the jetty to the spectacular underwater observatory. It is a unique experience not to be missed.
Vasse River and Rotary Park Vasse River and Rotary Park is a picturesque setting for a picnic. Situated on the banks of the Vasse River, its easy to forget you are in the heart of Busselton as you relax in the tranquil surroundings.
Sports and Recreation Facilities (1)
Yoganup Playground Yoganup Playground is an award winning adventure playground for children of all ages on the foreshore of Busselton. Children will be eager to try out the climbing tower and curly slide. Combining imaginative play with old fashioned fun, the playground will keep children entertained for hours.
Exhibitions and Shows (3)
Busselton Agricultural Show Come and celebrate the Busselton Agricultural Show!
Geographe Bay Race Week Geographe Bay Raceweek is Western Australia's longest Yachting Regatta that attracts around 100 yachts and 1,000 sailors annually. Held on the pristine waters of Geographe Bay the event boast some of the best sailing conditions in Australia and the world class facilities of Port Geographe Marina offer safe and secure berthing of vessels.
Rally By The Seaside Model A Ford lovers from all over the world will be making their way to the picturesque Busselton region in the south-west of Western Australia for the 23rd Australian Model A Ford Rally.
Festivals and Celebrations (2)
Festival of Busselton *** January 2015 date to be confirmed. ***
Southbound Festival Southbound festival is Western Australia's only major music and camping festival, and 2015 marks Southbound's 11th year!
Sporting Events (7)
Busselton Spring Running Festival The Busselton Spring Running Festival will come to life again in October. Running events covering five kilometres, ten kilometres and the 42.2 kilometre marathon will be held over two days. There will also be a kids event. Running-specific seminars will be held on the Saturday afternoon as well as the Athletes Toy Shop. The event will all be held in the confines of the Busselton City Centre and foreshore.
Chevron City to Surf for Activ - Busselton Western Australia's largest community event, the Chevron City to Surf for Activ has become a truly state wide affair with the Western Australia Series seeing events run in Karratha, Geraldton, Albany and Busselton as well as Perth.
Quit Forest Rally Western Australia's round of the Australian Rally Championship attracts Australia's best cars and drivers, including the best classic cars. The rally also incorporates motor bikes, making it a weekend of Motor Sport Extravaganza.
SunSmart Busselton Festival of Triathlon The popular SunSmart Busselton Festival of Triathlon is a three day festival incorporating the Busselton IronMan 70.3 triathlon which provides a challenging course for competitors. Participants will swim 1.9 kilometres, ride 90.1 kilometres and run 21.1 kilometres.
SunSmart Busselton Jetty Swim 2015 The SunSmart Busselton Jetty Swim 2015 event will be held over two days, with activities and family entertainment for everyone. The swim itself will take place on the Sunday morning. This event is regarded as one of South West Western Australia's most famous sporting events.
SunSmart IRONMAN Western Australia Busselton A stalwart of the Asia-Pacific triathlon scene since 2004, SunSmart IRONMAN Western Australia takes place in the scenic town of Busselton, in the south-west region of Western Australia.
UniSA Human Powered Vehicle (HPV) Super Series Round Four of the UniSA Human Powered Vehicle (HPV) Super Series will be held at Busselton in August. This is the only round held outside of South Australia, so come along and cheer on the WA teams in what is an entertaining and exciting event!
Full Day (2)
Bushtucker River and Winery Tours Bushtucker River and Winery Tours is an award winning tour company located in Margaret River in the south west of Western Australia. Tours also depart daily from Bunbury with a minimum number of six people. Contact Bunbury Visitor Centre for more details.
Gray Line Perth Gray Line Perth is a long established Australian owned premium sightseeing company. Owned by the Driver Family, they have been operating for more than 80 years and have a fleet of over 120 vehicles with other operations in Melbourne, Tasmania, and Darwin, with an alliance partner in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Half Day (1)
Southern Skydivers Live the most exhilarating experience of your life...skydiving, the highest, fastest, most spectacular adventure sport of them all! Securely attached to your experienced and professional tandem Instructor, you will be guided through your entire skydive.
Our Local Highlights
- Busselton Jetty and Underwater Observatory: Located nearly two kilometres out to sea along the southern hemisphere’s longest timber jetty, the Busselton Jetty Underwater Observatory is eight metres below sea level and allows you to view an amazing marine world of schooling fish and tropical coral... without getting your feet wet!
With 200,000 visitors to the Busselton Jetty each year, why not spend a few hours to soak up the unique atmosphere and “be touched by nature”.
The Busselton Jetty, with more than 300 individual marine species, is host to an awe inspiring "forest" of vividly-coloured tropical and sub-tropical corals, sponges, fish and invertebrates. It is described as Australia's greatest artificial reef.
Winter: 9am to 5pm daily May to November (weather permitting)
8am to 6pm daily December to April (bookings essential)
- Bushtucker River & Wine Tours: No. 1. Visit 7 iconic Margaret River attractions, as well as lunch at a winery! Tour departs daily from 10am to 5-30pm.
Taste more, see more, enjoy more! We visit 4 famous Wineries, 1 Brewery, Chocolate and Cheese Companies! We guarantee a fun and fabulous day out! Pick up is from any location between Margaret River, Busselton, Dunsborough and Yallingup! ONLY $85 adult and $40 child.
Google bushtuckertours for bookings, photos, tour itineraries and great deals! We reply quick!
Ask about our Maxi-deal Mondays! Only $75 per person for the whole day all day! (Conditions apply).
No. 2. BUSHTUCKER CAVE AND CANOE TOUR, on Margaret River!
This tour departs daily from 10am to 2pm all year round. Tour departs Margaret River Mouth 10km from town at 9.45am. All equipment is provided. For all ages and abilities. See cliffs, caves, wild life, wilderness and spectacular views with well educated and fun tour guide.
Everyone will also get to try native bushfoods and gourmet local produce at lunch. ONLY $85 adult and $40 child. Google bushtuckertours for bookings, photos, information and great deals!
Do both tours get $30 off second tour costs!
Google bushtuckertours for bookings, photos, information and the best price deals!
Location 20 Auger Way, Margaret River WA 6285
Phone +61 08 9757 9084 Fax No +61 08 97587115 Mobile 0419 911 971
- Dolphin Discovery Centre: The Dolphin Discovery Centre is Australia’s Premier Dolphin Experience. Located on the shores of Koombana Bay, visitors can experience four levels of interaction unequalled anywhere else in Australia. This includes an Interpretive Centre and Theatre, Interaction Zone, Swim Tours and Eco Cruises. As a non-profit community based organisation we are committed to dolphin research, education, conservation and tourism. With over 100 Bottlenose Dolphins living in the Bay, groups of them can be regularly seen in the shallow waters in front of the Centre (Interaction Zone), as well as on eco cruises and swim encounters. In addition our café offers delicious food that can be eaten in our relaxed indoor area or on our decking overlooking the ocean. The souvenir shop boasts a range of quality souvenirs as well as an ever growing selection of local crafts and indigenous art.
Location Two hour drive south of Perth, on Koombana Drive
Phone +61 08 9791 3088
Fax No +61 08 9791 3420
- Naturaliste Charters Whale Watching Cruises: Join award winning Naturaliste Charters for an exhilarating Whale Watch Cruise. "Experience Nature at its best".
Experience nature with Naturaliste Charters, a West Australian charter boat company based in the pristine sou-west of the state, conducting whale watching eco-tours.
During our eco-cruises, witness the behaviour of migrating Humpback, Southern Right and Blue Whales, in the pristine bays of the spectacular south-west of Western Australia. Naturaliste Charters has a close affinity with the whales of this area, being the first and original company to observe the arrival of these unique natural species in these waters. Finalist of the Western Australian Tourism Awards. Viewing migrating whales in the scenic south west is an exhilarating experience not to be missed! Join award winning Naturaliste Charters for a 2-3 hour eco-cruise aboard our luxury 17 metre catamaran Cetacean Explorer for a total nature experience.
Location 308 Geographe Bay Road, Pro Fishermans Boat Ramp, Dunsborough
Phone +61 97258511
- Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse: Breathtaking panoramic views of the Indian Ocean, Cape Naturaliste, Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park and the beautiful Geographe Bay coastline reward visitors to the top balcony of the Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse.
Easier than most lighthouses to climb, the Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse is one of the most popular attractions in the Geographe Bay and Margaret River Wine region.
- Ngilgi Cave: Located in the Margaret River wine region just off Caves Road, a short distance north of Yallingup. Explore the cave and experience stunning stalactite, stalagmite, helicitite and shawl formations. Visit an interpretive area detailing Ngilgi Cave's interesting history. A cafe, playground, barbecue facilities and walk trails make Ngilgi Cave a fun place to visit for the entire family.
Phone +61 8 9755 2152
- Happs Pottery: There’s always something going on at Happs Pottery... Whether it’s throwing, turning, glazing or firing, visitors are invited to come and have a chat with the potters.
Educating visitors on the process of pottery is important to us, so feel free to wander around and ask a few questions. We make our own glorious glazes and have a huge range of unique and individual pieces which we are more than happy to pack and send for you.
Phone +61 9755 3479
- The Mythic Mazes: Spend half an hour or half a day following in the footsteps of King Arthur and his Knights, or Ancient Greek heroes and monsters, as you take the challenge of hedge mazes, native plant-based sculpture gardens, puzzles and games.
The Myths and Legends theme continues in our Gallery of Wonders, with sculptures, textiles, artworks and books.
Open all school holidays and long weekends.
- Surfing in the South West: Geographe Bay is known for its amazing surf spots. Between the waves in Cape Naturalist, Yallingup, Gracetown and the breaks at Surfers Point in Margaret River, your surfing safari is sure be exhilarating.
- HMAS Swan Wreck Dive: The HMAS Swan was a Royal Australian Navy River Class Frigate Destroyer built in 1967. Located 1.3km off Point Piquet near the popular town of Dunsborough, the HMAS Swan sits in around 30 meters of water and was the first Navy vessel to be sunk as a dive wreck. At 113 meters in length and 23 meters high she is a brilliant dive for all levels of diver experience. Today it is home to a wide range of marine life, and provides a fun and fascinating dive.
- Xscape at the Cape Fun Park: Located just north of Dunsborough, Xscape is the South West's premier fun park with Wacky Putt Golf, Mine Shaft Maze, Jungle Mountain, train ride, Millers Ice Cream, Café and a new water play area with waterslides will be opening in December 2013!
- Yallingup Maze: Experience the ultimate adventure at Yallingup Maze when you conquer one of WA’s biggest and most exciting timber mazes! In the café you’ll find the largest collection of mind-bending puzzles in the southwest while you enjoy a freshly ground coffee, drinks and tasty treats. There's also a nature playground under the magic forest, a big bouncy castle and shaded kids playground.
- Wonky Windmill Farm and Eco Park: The kids will love to bottle feed the lambs and make friends with pigs, ponies, rabbits, guinea pigs, llama, alpaca, deer, goats, emus, kangaroos and ostrich. Wonky Windmill Farm is a great way for children and adults to learn about farm animals and farm life. Bring a picnic, enjoy a BBQ enjoy the delicious food from the Farm Cafe.
- Margaret River Chocolate Factory: The Margaret River Chocolate Company provides a fascinating insight into the world of chocolate, with free chocolate tastings and interactive displays and a viewing window to watch the chocolate products being made. There is also a mouth-watering range of chocolate bars, chocolate coated delights, hand made truffles, novelty chocolates, chocolate sauces and much more for sale. Enjoy a coffee and treat or lunch from the cafe.
- Simmo's Icecreamery: A visit to Simmo's in Dunsborough is a must! There are over 60 flavours of delicious ice-cream to try as well as beautiful grounds with a playground and mini golf - fun for the whole family!